Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Simple Idea



My husband wears glasses to read. He has numerous pairs around the house, any place he might need them. Reading glasses are cheap enough to buy.

I, on the other hand, am near-sighted. I can read without glasses and need them for distance. So I'm constantly taking off my glasses to read or do close-up work like crochet. The trouble with being near-sighted is that when you misplace your glasses, you can't see to find them!

Obviously, my glasses are prescription so I can't afford a dozen pairs. But I took a cue from Mike's idea of multiples to make eyeglass cases! I have one by my desk, one by the sewing machine and one in the dining room. Actually, I have another pair of glasses that I keep in the case in the dining room. They need repaired, by they are enough to help me see if I put my glasses down and forget where they are. Once I find them, the other pair immediately goes back into its case.

I made the cases bright so they'll be easy to see. I need to make a few more. I've also been getting myself into the habit of actually using them, even if I'm only sitting down for a few minutes.

These are nothing but simple little 'tubes' with one end sewn shut. I lined them to make them sturdier and nicer, but you wouldn't have to. You might be able to tell on the middle one that I finished the top with an easy overcast stitch.

Just a simple idea that makes life a lot less frustrating!

3 comments:

  1. I'm always mis-placing my glasses, those little tubes look so sweet and could help solve the problem, only trouble is I would more than likley also loose the little tubes.....I am so forgetful. Maybe putting them on a neck chain would work for me......but then I would have to give up the opportunity of making some sweet little tubes of my own. My favourite is the colourful one in the middle, but they are all lovely.
    florrie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea. I am constantly misplacing my glasses.

    ReplyDelete