Thursday, June 9, 2011

Another 'finish'

Well, I suppose I should call it a semi-finish, since I left out the last step.

This is a 2-drawer file cabinet cover from the book "One Yard Wonders." Trust me when I tell you: if you are a sewist, you neeeeed this book! It has so many wonderful projects in it from household items to toys to clothing. I am amazed at what you can do with only one yard of fabric.

The cover here is supposed to have loops and big buttons on the front. But a)I just wanted to get it done and b)it's easier to just flip up the front panel when we want access to our files. This thing sits in our bedroom and now it looks so much nicer. I'm out of the plain green fabric but I might try to find some coordinated prints to make a few pillows for the bed.

One of the nice things about only needing a yard is that you can get that expensive 'upholstery' fabric (like what I used here) on the remnant shelf at a discount. I'm sure this cost me less than $7 to make including the bias binding.

Oh...it doesn't have a back. And I finished the 'raw' edges by simply pinking them. What counts is what shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment