Thursday, December 16, 2010

A little ornament


Here is a simple ornament I made a few days ago. I threaded some beads with wire through an empty thread spool. I tore fabric into a strip and cut it to fit around the spool, then used some of the strip for a bow and a hanger. If you can see a little bit of silver at the top of the spool, that is part of a jewelry finding that is some kind of closure for a necklace or bracelet. I've got all this jewelry-making stuff I never use so it puts it to good use.

I cut a picture out of my oldest son when he was about 18 months old. All this is stuck with glue dots, but you could probably use a glue stick or just plain tacky glue.

You could probably figure out a version of this for kids to make, too. It goes together very quickly!

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to use up empty thread spools. Kids would love making those and could be very creative using a paint brush and different colors of paint. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so creative and pretty........it's wonderful how you can see the beauty and potential in everyday objects that otherwise would end up in the bin.
    florrie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. =)

    I love this idea for a homemade ornament! I have been collecting new ideas to try next Christmas. Thanks for sharing this great one!

    ReplyDelete